Mulberry Grove firemen responded to a structure fire in the 100 block of 1025 East Avenue in Fayette County Friday afternoon just after 4:00 p.m. Mulberry Grove Fire Chief Dwight Volkmar told WGEL the fire started in the chimney of the home and the wood around the chimney ignited. Keyesport firefighters provided mutual aid and personnel were on the scene for about an hour and a half. No one was injured and Volkmar estimated the damage at $10,000-20,000.
Greenville firemen were paged to the 500 block of Winter Avenue at 1:17 a.m. Saturday morning. Assistant Fire Chief Jim Sutton told WGEL a resident of the home spotted the fire in the kitchen near the refrigerator and stove. When fire crews arrived, flames were coming from two windows. Sutton said personnel were able to keep the blaze confined to two rooms, however the rest of the home sustained a lot of smoke and heat damage. Three people were home at the time of the fire. The man who initially saw the fire was evaluated on the scene for minor burns and no other injuries were reported. Firefighters from Mulberry Grove and Smithboro provided mutual aid in the form of manpower.
Assistant Chief Sutton emphasized the importance of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and urges everyone to install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors if you don’t have them. If you do have them, check them regularly and make sure they are functioning properly.