Mother & Infant Injured In Fire In Nokomis

A mother and her infant child are reportedly doing well today after they were rescued from a house fire in Nokomis Tuesday morning.

Nokomis Fire Chief Darrell Johnson told WGEL that when the alarm was received shortly after 10 a.m., firefighters were told there were people in the structure. Johnson said as crews arrived, the mother came down from the second floor to tell them the infant was in the upstairs bedroom.

The baby was rescued and taken by ambulance to St. John’s Hospital in Springfield. The mother was airlifted to Memorial Hospital in Springfield.

Chief Johnson said on Wednesday he has been told both are doing well.

The fire chief indicated the cause of the fire was probably electrical. The fire started in the second story.

Chief Johnson said when firefighters arrived, flames were coming out of a second floor window of the house, located in the south part of Nokomis. He said the house suffered fire damage but was not a total loss.

Providing mutual aid to the Nokomis Department were firefighters from Witt, Fillmore, Pana and Taylorville.

A benefit fund for the mother and child has been established at the First National Bank of Nokomis.