During construction on a water main line, a subcontractor for the city of Carlinville struck a natural gas line while digging Wednesday. Ameren Illinois was immediately notified, however, before they were able to shut it down, the natural gas line erupted.
A house exploded at 10:42 A.M., at 430 North West Street, Carlinville. The Carlinville Fire Department arrived on scene to extinguish the fire with the help of the Girard Fire Department. Officers from the Carlinville Police Department, Macoupin County Sheriff’s Department, and Illinois State Police arrived on scene to assist in traffic control and securing a perimeter. Dunn’s Ambulance transported two residents, one of which was in the house, to Carlinville Area Hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Both residents were later transferred to Memorial Medical Center in Springfield, IL.
The Illinois State Fire Marshal and ATF have taken control of the scene from the Carlinville Fire Department. The area has been secured while the investigation is under way. State Police say the area is safe for residents and the public.
The American Red Cross was also on the scene, assisting with residents in the area who were affected by the incident.